Robert R. and Lila L. Snell Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award
This award, established by the Snells, is awarded to a full professor with at least 15 years of experience at K-State. It is truly a career achievement award. The Honors and Awards Committee makes the selection based on the following criteria:
- Feedback from alumni (not more than four references).
- Recognized innovation in teaching.
- Course and curriculum upgrades.
- Outstanding long-term student evaluations.
- Recommendations by peers (not more than four references).
- Demonstrated participation in regional and national conferences.
Nominations are made by the department head, with supporting letters from at least two full professors, or by four full professors (at least one from another department).
John J. Devore, ECE, 2016
This year’s recipient is Dr. John Devore, professor in the department of electrical and computer engineering.
- Dr. Devore has been a faculty member of electrical and computer engineering at K-State since 1984.
- He develops practical applications of the coursework so that students have an interest in learning and are able to relate to the problems.
Comments from his students and colleagues:
- "Prior to taking that class I was still unsure about my interest in electrical engineering. Three weeks into Dr. Devore's course, I was hooked."
- "John has been a truly outstanding educator and leader of the undergraduate program in electrical and computer engineering ever since he started teaching over thirty years ago."
Ronaldo G. Maghirang, BAE, 2015
Mo Hosni, MNE, 2014
Hani Melhem, CE, 2013
David L. Soldan, ECE, 2012
Charles Burton, ARE/CNS, 2011
Jim Goddard, ARE/CNS, 2010
Don Lenhert, ECE, 2009
Terry Beck, MNE, 2008
Naiqian Zhang, BAE, 2007
J. Garth Thompson, MNE, 2006
Medhat M. Morcos, EECE, 2005
J. Kenneth Shultis, MNE, 2004
Richard R. Gallagher, EECE, 2003
N. Dean Eckhoff, MNE, 2002
Charles R. Bissey, ARE/CNS, 2001
Donald R. Hummels, EECE, 2000
Larry A. Glasgow, CHE, 1999
Do Sup Chung, BAE, 1998