Clair A. Mauch Steel Ring Advisor of the Year
The Clair A. Mauch Steel Ring Advisor of the Year Award recognizes individual achievement in advising by a full-time faculty member. Members of Steel Ring make the selection based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated concern for students’ academic progress;
- Familiarity with administrative, university, and departmental advising policies; and
- Availability to students and recognized ability to positively impact their education.
Advising students entails a variety of activities: selecting courses, answering career questions, directing students to appropriate offices on campus, presenting a listening ear, mentoring them in their chosen discipline, and many times serving as an advisor for student organizations.
Malgorzata J. Rys, IMSE, 2016
This year’s recipient is Dr. Malgorzata Rys, associate professor in the department of industrial and manufacturing systems engineering.
- Dr. Rys joined the IMSE faculty in 1989.
- She currently teaches courses in the IMSE department on human factors engineering and ergonomics, design of experiments, and engineering economy.
- She received the Charles H. Scholer Faculty Award in 2014.
Comments from her students:
- "No professor that I have had at Kansas State has been more willing to help me outside of class than Dr. Rys has. She is also interested in my well-being and life outside of school as well.”
- “It doesn’t matter what was going on in her schedule, she was always willing to answer questions, offer advice and give input on what she would recommend.”
Chris Ahern, ARE/CNS, 2015
Mustaque Hossain, CE, 2014
Ronaldo Maghirang, BAE, 2013
Garth Thompson, MNE, 2012
Ray Buyle, ARE/CNS, 2011
Julie A. Thornton, CIS, 2010
Todd Easton, IMSE, 2009
Kimberly Douglas-Mankin, IMSE, 2008
Julia A. Keen, ARE/CNS, 2007
Sutton F. Stephens, ARE/CNS, 2006
Larry A. Glasgow, CHE, 2005
Tom D. Logan, ARE/CNS, 2004
Charles L. Burton, ARE/CNS, 2003
Michael N. Hafling, ARE/CNS, 2002
David A. Pacey, MNE, 2001
Ray E. Hightower, Asst. Dean for Student Services, 2000
Malgorzata J. Rys, IMSE, 1999
Mark D. Schrock, BAE, 1998
Charles L. Burton, ARE/CNS, 1997
Prasanta K. Kalita, BAE, 1996
Kuo-Kuang Hu, CE, 1995
Do Sup Chung, BAE, 1994
David A. Pacey, ET, 1993
Bradley A. Kramer, IE, 1992
Medhat M. Morcos, EECE, 1991
Paul R. McCright, IE, 1990
J. Kenneth Shultis, MNE, 1989
Larry E. Erickson, CHE, 1988
Frederick J. Hoppe, ET, 1987
Merrill E. Blackman, CNS, 1986
Robert E. Crank, ME, 1985
Gale E. Simons, NE, 1984
Muthuraj Vaithianathan, IE, 1983
John C. Matthews, CHE, 1982
James K. Koelliker, CE, 1981