Larry E. and Laurel Erickson Public Service Award
This award recognizes a faculty or staff member who has been employed in the College of Engineering for at least five years and has demonstrated exemplary public service. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Letter of nomination by a College of Engineering employee.
- Letter of support from a faculty or staff member of the College of Engineering.
- Letter of support from an individual who has knowledge of the exemplary public service of the nominee.
- Nominee’s statement (limited to two pages) describing the public service activities during the prior five years.
- Current copy of the curriculum vitae of the nominee.
Ruth Douglas Miller, ECE, 2017This year’s recipient is Dr. Ruth Douglas Miller, associate professor in the department of electrical and computer engineering.
- Miller has been teaching at K-State for 27 years.
- Miller serves on many committees, including the SMART Wind Consortium and is adviser to the Wildcat Wind Power Design Team. She is also the director of the Kansas Wind Applications Center, which includes education and service objectives.
Comments from colleagues:
- “She often speaks at K-12 classrooms, and her summers are often filled with helping or leading a number of K-State or related outreach programs for our youth in the area. She is truly a passionate faculty member and individual who puts her heart into helping others learn more about renewable energy, engineering, science and related fields.”
- “Yes, my students and I have worked hard the past 10 years as our projects have grown and new opportunities have been presented, but I can’t emphasize enough how important it was to have Dr. Miller guiding and helping us to make connections each step along the way. Her passion for energy education is on display every spring when she hosts the Kansas KidWind Challenge as part of Open House for the electrical and computer engineering department at Kansas State University.”
Joseph P. Harner, BAE, 2016
Phillip Barnes, BAE, 2015
Bruce Snead, Engineering Extension, 2014
David Ben-Arieh, IMSE, 2013
Robert W. Stokes, CE, 2012
Anil Pahwa, ECE, 2011
Hani Melhem, CE, 2010
Danny Rogers, BAE, 2009
Robert W. Stokes, CE, 2008
Richard B. Hayter, Assoc. Dean for Ext. Affairs, 2007
G. Morgan Powell, BAE, 2006