Some students entering our engineering family may be unsure of the specific discipline that will be the best fit for their interests, skills and career goals. Other students may be working to meet the admissions criteria for an engineering department. In order to support all students, the first-year general engineering program offers introductory engineering courses and advising that covers all of the degree programs offered in the College of Engineering at K-State.
The benefits of this research-based learning environment include the following:
- Engage in real-world problem solving
- Develop the ability to effectively communicate design and analysis decisions
- Receive targeted feedback on problem solving skills critical for success in future engineering courses
- Experience working in collaborative student design projects
- Gain exposure to working with modern computer software
- Explore a variety of technical content as a preview of different degree programs
- Select an engineering discipline to pursue with confidence
After completing the general engineering program, students can easily transition into the degree program of their choice right on track with their peers. Participating in the general engineering program also provides students with a perspective of what the various types of engineers do, which is a strong foundation for their personal and professional development.
For other academic concerns, please visit the Engineering Student Services page.